"...built in 1916 inside the canyon of the Guaitara River . According to the legend, this was the place where an indian woman named MarÃa Mueses de QuiÃ±ones was carrying her deaf-mute daughter Rosa on her back near Las Lajas (”The Rocks”). Weary of the climb, the MarÃa sat down on a rock when Rosa spoke (for the first time) about an apparition in a cave.
Later on, a mysterious painting of the Virgin Mary carrying a baby was discovered on the wall of the cave. Supposedly, studies of the painting showed no proof of paint or pigments on the rock – instead, when a core sample was taken, it was found that the colors were impregnated in the rock itself to a depth of several feet. The legend spurred the building of this amazing church.
In Spanish las lajas means “the rocks.”
Read More: http://www.guardianangel.in/ga/192-GuardianStory-Las-Lajas-Cathedral.html