NEW YORK (CBSNewYork) — Many ladies love their handbags and will spend a lot of money for the latest and greatest, but a new study says what is inside those bags may be covered in germs worse than what you’ll find in the bathroom.
We all know the winter can be particularly rough on our skin, what with all the bitter winds and sporatic snow fall, and now with the forecast showing temps threatening to dip into the 30s over the next week or so, now's as good a time as any to get your skin in cold-weather gear. Though switching your entire routine seems a bit excessive, trust me - you'll want to put down the oil-striping cleansers and invest in a few key products to keep from falling victim to dry, flaky skin. Here's my list of must-haves for a seemless (and pore-less) transition into winter.
1. Dermalogica Gentle Cream Exfoliant, $36 at Dermalogica Though your skin is probably way flakier than it was months ago, you don't want to take a harsh exfoliant to your face - instead, this cream formula from Dermalogica encourages cell turnover sans the harsh, abrasive scrubbing.
2. bliss hot salt scrub, $36 at blissworld
It's not just our faces that have to adjust to the winter - though we're
(hopefully!) not exposing our limbs as often as usual, it's still
important to keep your entire body hydrated. This salt scrub from bliss
turns your bath time into a regular trip to the spa thanks to its
hydrating algae extract and eucalyptus-based formula.
3. Philosophy When Hope Is Not Enough Moisturizing Cleanser, $25 at Ulta Though you should know better than to use bar soap on your face (or at all, really), now's the time to switch to an ultra-moisturizing cleanser sans the acne meds, which work by drying out your skin enough to keep it from over-producting oil. My favorite moisturizing cleanser is this one from Philosophy, which nourishes as it cleans.
4. L'Occitane Shea Butter Mini Hand Cream, $10 at L'Occitane The
worst mistake you can make in the winter is to neglect your hands,
especially if they're not covered. This renown product makes for the
perfect winter-must have (and is a great stocking stuffer!)
5. Waxelene, $16 at Waxelene Use this organic soy oil and beeswax
formula in place of petroleum jelly as a substitute moisturizer, or as a
highlighter for your upper cheek bones, creating that dewy look you
thought was reserved for the summer. Even better, Waxelene is
all-natural paraben free so it won't suffocate your pores.
6. Aesop Oil Free Facial Hydrating Serum, $62 at Aesop Boasting a pure
aloe vera juice base, this hydrating serum can be used alone or under a
cream moisturizer for some extra luster.
7. Intelligent Nutrients Certified Organic Anti-Aging Mist, $35 at IN Spray on this anti-aging mist when you're fresh out of the shower to reverse the toll hard water can take on your already moisture-stripped skin. This organic mist combines the muscle of a toner, a balancer and an astringent in one.
8. Lanolips 101 Ointment, $18 at Lanolips This dermatologist-tested cream lip ointment is perfectly luxurious for winter-chapped lips. It also doubles as cuticle oil!
9. SK-II Sin Signature Eye Cream, $110 at SK-II Though it's got a
hefty price tag attached, just a touch of this cream does wonders for
the thin, fragile skin around your eyes, especially when winter nips.
The 15ml bottle is small but it'll last you all winter long!
10. KORRES Yogurt Cream Moisturizer, $32 at Sephora I absolutely swear by this ultra-soothing cream! It's full of Vitamin E, olive oil concentrate, of course, yogurt - meaning there's no shortage of moisture, even for the most dehydrated skin.